Thursday, November 15, 2012

Sewing for babies......

 A couple of weeks ago I was asked by a friend of a friend to make some baby items for new babies. So I have been beavering away in my sewing attic creating baby shoes, stroller/crib quilts and bibs and I'm not finished yet. It's been a nice change to create items with these bright and modern fabrics that I've been collecting for a while now.
 This baby girl quilt is the perfect size for a stroller/pram or crib. I decided all these pretty fabrics needed to show their prettiness off was a simple patchwork of squares and some cross-hatch quilting. The fabrics are a mixture of some Bliss by Bonnie and Camille, Pop garden and bijoux by Heather Bailey and Hunky dory by Momo plus a few spotty fabrics thrown into the mix.
 It's backed with a Denyse Schmidt print (purchased on sale at Spotlight Yay!) and bound with a double layered bias binding of a Bliss print.
 For the baby boy quilt I put together some blue,green and brown prints consisting mainly of dots, spots and stripes plus the fun animal print by Michael Miller fabrics and some cute little birdie fabrics that I seemed to be collecting in my stash. Because I tend to make mostly girly things I found it a nice change to work with a different colour palate.
 It is backed with this green and brown print from Bonnie and Camille's Bliss range and bound with a aqua and white spot print just to continue with the spots and dots theme I seemed to have going on.

 Two little pairs of cute baby boy shoes which are so cute to make up...
Finally I made these bibs up with some leftover fabrics from the quilts and backed them with a fine and soft pale blue towelling. These bibs have a velcro fastening on one side of the neck which I remember being a quick and easy way to put a bib on a wriggly baby.

11 comments:

Needled Mom said...

What delightful baby gifts those make. The fabrics are beautiful. What pattern did you use for the cute booties? Baby sewing is so much fun.

Julie said...

Wow - they are beautiful. Love the colours in the girly quilt. Where did you get the shoe pattern?

XUE said...

At times like these, I want to have babies again ... luckily that feeling only last for a few seconds! my teenagers do ask for a baby every now & then though :)
Love both quilts & I am getting updates on your posts again! Yippee!

Nic said...

Those shoes are too cute!

Wendy said...

the quilts are beautiful and the shoes are just adorable!! lucky babies...

Michelle said...

Everything is just gorgeous! :O)

Katy Cameron said...

Such cute wee shoes, and love the fabric choices

Barbara said...

Wow, these little baby shoes are so cute! Did you have a special pattern for it? If yes, is it available in the internet? I also love the joyful colors of all the baby items. This will be a wonderful gift!

Deb said...

Oh my gosh, those little shoes are adorable. And such pretty quilts. Did you manage to get to the 40% off sale at Spotlight? Lots of DS prints.....

Unknown said...

Wow, what a lovely collection of baby gifts! You've been busy busy! I'm partial to those slippers. They're beyond cute. :)

Karen said...

Just sooo gorgeous!!!! I just adore those booties. Were they very fiddly to make?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...