Thursday, October 18, 2012

The "Boho" bag

So this is the second bag I made with the same pattern I drafted for the bag in the previous post. I have a lovely collection of batik fabrics that I purchased a few years back on a holiday in Bali and because I don't go to Bali as often as I would like these fabrics are in the "precious category" of my stash but I thought they would be perfectly suited to this type of bag. I wanted a sort of bohemian look so pieced some small pieces of batik scraps together onto some light interfacing then embellished each seam with a variety of machine embroidery stitches. I added a flap to the top with a magnetic enclosure simply because I didn't have a zip in the correct colour or length.

A simply made soft 'button' was added to the flap front on top of the magnetic stud which I think goes nicely with these ethnic looking fabrics.

This is the back of the bag and also one of the side pockets which I made slightly bigger than the original pattern, added an inverted pleat to the bottom and elastic to the top which makes the pocket more secure and perfect for holding things like sunglasses or a cellphone.
The straps are done the same way although pieced together from 3 different prints.


The fabric used on the inside of the bag is an African fabric called "shwe shwe" and I think it coordinates nicely with the batiks. I did the same zippered inner pocket but also added a hooked clasp on some woven ribbon to one of the inside side seams for holding/securing keys.

And here is my beautiful model once again in our garden doing a great job of modelling this bag.

The boho bag is now available to purchase here in my Etsy shop.

5 comments:

Rene' said...

Both of these bags are just great!!! Love your attention to all the details. Great selection of batiks and like the fun stitching too.

Nic said...

Love it. Especially the batiks. Now I'm thinking I need a fabric buying trip to Bali added on to one side of my next trip out to NZ and Australia.

Lis Harwood said...

I like this one even more! I hope it finds a very good home. The bag design shows off the fabrics really well.

Karen said...

Great bag! The piecing and decorative stitching are wonderful touches. The lining fabric looks fabulous.

Unknown said...

I really love the choice of batik fabrics for this bag. The way you've pieced and stitched it really does give it a bohemian look. So pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...