Monday, July 16, 2012

My newly re-decorated/re-organised Sewing Attic

New Layout of my sewing attic
After moving around bits and pieces of furniture a couple of weeks ago in order to re-decorate our entrance room/ chill out room downstairs I ended up having to re-organise my Sewing Attic. My fabric stash used to be kept in 2 large old trunks that belonged to my great-Grandparents who bought them out from Northern Ireland. While they held a lot of fabric they took up too much room in my little Sewing Attic and because I stored some of my quilts on top of one of them it meant I couldn't easily or quickly see what fabrics I had. Now one of them is downstairs in the new entrance room and one is in my lounge providing much needed storage in those rooms. Now as you can see in the above photo my fabric is much more readily accessible and looks pretty too in a variety of baskets and.......

New Layout of my sewing attic
........also stored in my newly restored and decorated vintage nail boxes. Yes Nic you were correct in your guess of what I would use these boxes for :-) A good deal of my quilting fabrics are kept in these 2 boxes. The 2 large round baskets hold fabric scraps and some larger pieces of a variety of different fabric types.

New Layout of my sewing attic
The sweet little white table in this photo was kindly given to me by my good friend Darlene who also helped with the re-decorating of my downstairs room. I love its art deco lines and its slightly shabby chic paint job.

New Layout of my sewing attic
The other 2 vintage nail boxes hold larger pieces of different weights of dress fabrics. I love that they are so more accessible now and I can see at a glance what I have and have not of course :-) Also on top of these boxes are various vintage tins and chocolate boxes holding ribbons, buttons, beads, trims etc which are now in a much more accessible space. The fifth wooden box which originally held soft drinks now holds some sewing magazines and patterns

New Layout of my sewing attic
I still have my inspiration board in the same place but I have also hung an old pair of  scissors (maybe for upholstery? ) and a vintage folding wooden ruler near it.

And here's a little collage of some of my favourite things in my re-organised space, a couple of my fabric wrapped wreaths now hanging and looking pretty, my favourite magazines all organised in newly covered magazine holders and some of my thread stash now stored in a re-purposed wooden beer display box. As I don't drink beer I think it is a much better use :-)

Fabric organisation
Finally I now have these larger pieces of 'Nicey Jane' fabrics hung on a rod in what used to be Amelia's bedroom which is opposite Caitlin's room and next to my sewing space. When Amelia moved into her new bedroom, I earmarked her old room for a combined creative space for both Caitlin and I. I think this is a great way of storing larger pieces of fabric so I intend to get more of these clipped hangers to hang other larger fabric pieces.

New Layout of my sewing attic
Today was a miserable wet day so I spent a couple of hours up here catching up on projects that have been sadly neglected these last couple of months. With my newly organised sewing space I feel re-energised about sewing again and have lots of projects in my head to tackle so watch this space :-)

21 comments:

Michelle said...

It looks like a really happy place to be creative, you have displayed your fabrics so nicely... enjoy your new space!

Karen said...

I am so glad you are feeling re-energised about your sewing studio. It looks lovely and pretty. You are so lucky having your own creative space. I really like your idea for hanging fabric on hangers. Your boxes look great pimped up and now full of fabric.

Leslie said...

this is such a sweet sewing space....i love the boxes for quilt fabric storage.

Ariane said...

Your sewing space looks wonderful!!It is definitely a plus when you can see what fabric you have. It helps when you are in the mood to sew, but need some inspiration.

georgie said...

Your sewing space looks soo cosy and organised and I'm truly jealous,my space is a very small corner of our bedroom.
Hugs Georgie x

Katy Cameron said...

Love the new look sewing space, enjoy!

Rafael's Mum said...

Love your new layout! and those boxes are working ever so well! A really cozy place to sit and sew. Your house is coming together great!!

Nic said...

Called it! Hehe :)
Love the new space. Hope you have lots and lots of enjoyable hours in it.

My Handmadehappiness said...

What a lovely space.. The creative juices must be flowing x

Unknown said...

a place for everything! your sewing attic looks so neat and tidy (I can't say the same thing for mine...) and I think fabric storage is a great use for those crates. I can see why you're re-energized!

Bec I am said...

I wish I could come and play at your house, it looks so inviting.

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

What a sweet little space! I love the baskets and crates!

legato1958 said...

What a fun space to think and sew!!

Quilt Fabric Pizazz said...

Oh Gosh! This has to be one of the most interesting quilting space on this linky moda site. Totally love it! What does the window overlook.....just wish I could take a peek and see. Fabulous!

CapitolaQuilter said...

All of your containers and baskets are just adorable. Nice use of what might otherwise be wasted space.

jennyg said...

Isn't it lovely to have a room f your own that you can close the door on your mess - sorry creative happenings lol

Unknown said...

Isn't it lovely to have a room f your own that you can close the door on your mess - sorry creative happenings lol

Unknown said...

Isn't it lovely to have a room f your own that you can close the door on your mess - sorry creative happenings lol

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are feeling re-energised about your sewing studio. It looks lovely and pretty. You are so lucky having your own creative space. I really like your idea for hanging fabric on hangers. Your boxes look great pimped up and now full of fabric.

Unknown said...

It looks like a really happy place to be creative, you have displayed your fabrics so nicely... enjoy your new space!

Unknown said...

Your sewing space looks wonderful!!It is definitely a plus when you can see what fabric you have. It helps when you are in the mood to sew, but need some inspiration.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...