Sunday, February 19, 2012

Weekending....

Blocks for Romania
We have been enjoying some lovely fine and hot long-awaited summer weather this weekend. Yesterday I completed a cycle event that I have been training for 6 weeks for. It's called "The Rev" and is 100kms of rolling Waikato farmland around the back of Cambridge and Matamata on nice quiet country roads including where "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings" were partly filmed. I had to remind myself to take in the beautiful views but I have to say the last 30 kms I really just wanted it to end. It is a tough route with lots of hills although what goes up must come down. I did it though in a time I was happy with and I do love the feeling of being fit enough to complete a challenge like this. The above blocks were completed on Friday and are for a project to benefit some abused girls in Romania. Deborah McClenahan is organising this very worthy project and has asked a number of Etsy sellers to make one 8"block. Once I started I couldn't stop at 1 so ended up making 3 which will hopefully make up for my lateness in getting these blocks off to her. You can read more about this project here on her blog.


Some favourites from the past week
1. hello liberty, 2. postcard from paris, 3. Rainbow Stripes, 4. Farmer's wife quilt (twin size), 5. 099 African Flowers Cushion, 6. Custom work, 7. spring works, 8. Felt Notebook Cover, 9. Granny Squares Scrappy Quilt, 10. ♥... L ♥ v e * S w e e t * L ♥ v e ...♥ - #29, 11. Vintage Ribbon Spool Stacks, 12. hex_pillow 

Today is all about recovery from yesterday, celebrating out 18th Wedding Anniversary in small ways, & preparing for my youngest daughters school camp. So I have......


  • Been for a small run this morning with Amelia who is training for her athletics day this week.
  • Making chocolate mousse for dessert and because I failed in separating the first lot of eggs I am going to make ice-cream as well to use up the extra egg yolks:-)
  • Catching up on washing because of Fridays thunderstorms and being out yesterday I am all behind with our washing.
  • Gathering supplies and packing for both Caitlin and I.
I hope you enjoy this coming week and that the above 'inspiration mosaic' will make up for my absence in blogland as I have volunteered to be a parent helper on Caitlin's camp this week. We are going to the Blue Mountain Adventure Centre in Raurimu near Tongariro National Park. I have been before with Amelia's class and am looking forward to some time away even though it will be with 25 noisy 11-12 year olds.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Well done you on the big ride :) - after that I'd say you deserve a rest, not a camp with lots of active excited children! You might be interested to know that here in the north of Tasmania the annual Century ride has just been held: 100 miles (160 odd km) on penny farthings! It must be finished in twelve hours and apparently most riders do! I think they're mad myself :)

XUE said...

I will miss you !
I am always so, so impressed by your energy & healthy lifestyle & all your quilting projects. Makes me feel I have to go our running too! Ok, maybe not run like you but a brisk walk then :) Happy camping !

Katy Cameron said...

Wow, go you on a 100km ride! Hope you get a little time to relax today, in between running around. Have a great trip :o)

Lis Harwood said...

What an uplifting post, lovely. Congratulations on the anniversary and enjoy the camp!

Karen said...

The blocks are lovely. I hope you have a great week away with your girl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...