Friday, September 16, 2011

Vintage embroidery

Vintage embroidery
This vase of pretty spring flowers is making me happy today not only because I love having fresh and fragrant flowers in vases around my home but also because it is sitting upon a piece of recently re-discovered vintage embroidered linen. 

Vintage embroidery
I have quite a collection of various pieces which I'd forgotten about. All have been completed by either my Grandmother, her sisters or my Great-Grandmother. We are not completely sure who has done which piece but I'm sure looking at the amount of work they put into each design they would be pleased to know that they are being once again, used, admired and looked after. 

Vintage embroidery
I love the style of writing on these particular pieces and also the pretty stitches used...french knots and stem stitch?

Vintage embroidery
This matching pair have what look like embroidered hollyhocks and a pretty crochet edging.

Vintage embroidery

Vintage embroidery
A variety of stitches have been used to create this pretty floral design.

Vintage embroidery
I love the pastel lazy daisy flowers on this one......

Vintage embroidery

......but this one is definitely my favourite. I love the very fine and delicate embroidery on it and it makes me inspired to do something similar myself.
I am just a novice at embroidery though but you have to have something to aspire too right?
Yesterday I read on Carina's blog ( who is a complete expert embroiderer!) about a contest happening over at "feeling stitchy". You have to design a book cover for a favourite book or any book for that matter using hand embroidery or freehand machine embroidery. Sounds like a fun challenge and I'm very tempted. Gone on over and check out the details  if you're keen too!
Have a happy weekend!!

2 comments:

Katy Cameron said...

Very pretty. There are bits scattered round our family that both grandmothers and my mum have done over the years, but I have no idea where they are - no doubt buried in a drawer somewhere!

Karen said...

I love using my embroideries. My sister occasionally still makes them. She also does lovely crocheted edges. Good luck if you decide to enter the contest.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...