Monday, February 21, 2011

Cut once, make two...

One Friday a couple of weeks ago I decided to have another go at making a round segmented cushion. I made up a pattern for the segments, selected my fabrics ( the fun bit!!) and started cutting and soon realised it was just as easy to cut out 2 pieces of each fabric as it was to cut one plus one pillow could be a present for a friend of Caitlin's who was having a birthday celebration the next day. Her favourite colours just happened to be blue and yellow, perfect :)

The back is made up of 3 spotty blue fabrics I had in my stash with 3 large buttons for the enclosure.

When we gave it to her she was really pleased and apparently carried it around with her for the rest of the afternoon.

With the second one I added some extra 'circles' of quilting to the top and added the same blue/white check piping to the edge.

The fabrics are predominately from Heather Bailey's "Nicey Jane' and 'Pop Garden' ranges and it is my favourite colour combo of green and blue with a splash of yellow. Can't believe I actually cut into my precious 'Nicey Jane' fabrics at long last!

I decided to add a bit of interest to the back with a 'scalloped' button enclosure which was easier to do than I thought it was going to be. The hardest part of making these cushions ( apart from getting those points perfectly matching in the centre on the front) is to end up with a perfectly round cushion. After a couple of sessions of unpicking seams and restuffing the inner I think I've got it to as near perfect as I can. I tell you, square cushions are a lot easier to make than round!
I read this quote recently about failing and trying again which I found very inspiring after making these cushions. This second cushion is available for sale in my shop:)

5 comments:

Ariane said...

Your pillows are gorgeous!!!

Unknown said...

so pretty Catherine! i love that scalloped edge on the back of the second one. what a cool little touch!

by Daisy said...

both pillows are amazing and your perfection in completing challenging tasks for the first time never ceases to amaze me. hurray for you!!!

Nathalie said...

Wow, you always choose such gorgeous colors, that's what I prefer. Where do you buy your fabrics?

Karen said...

Love the Nicey Jane. Great job making the round cushions. They would look great mixed amongst square cushions.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...