Monday, August 16, 2010

My weekend.........

My excuse for acquiring this little bundle of happy fabric could be attributed to the fact that our weekend here was really wet and miserable and I needed to brighten it up somehow? No not buying that one? Well maybe it was because I found myself in a new quilt shop and this little bundle whispered "buy me Catherine".
The new quilt shop is in Waihi, a town 30 minutes drive south of Whangamata and also where my parents live so I think this quilt shop is going to be my local, finally I have a local quilt shop.

The shop is stocked with lots of beautiful fabrics and I was only going in for a look but I just couldn't resist this bundle of 'Hunky Dory' by Chez Moi. I'm justifying my purchase by making up some pretty pillows with it to sell in my etsy shop.

I also manged to get a little more crochet done.



Not quite a blanket yet though but looking nice and colourful.

So my Saturday ended up to be quite a pleasant day despite the rain but come Sunday this old cat on the quilt above died.... I'd like to say peacefully in his sleep but it seems he had one of his 'fits' outside on our deck and didn't survive this time. Unfortunately he wasn't a pretty sight when I found him.

He'd had a pretty good life at 18 years and was a pretty tough cat with jagged ears to prove it. He was my father-in-law's cat for 12 years and then when he died he came to us to live his final years at the beach. He was the grumpiest, impatient cat I've ever known but I'll miss giving him his 'vacum' every week. Yes he was a cat that liked to be vacuumed.

Luckily we have two other much younger cats that will take his place on his sheepskin rug in front of the heater. Rest in peace Flicker.


8 comments:

Leslie said...

how nice to have a local shop where you are. i love the fabrics you picked up. The crochet squares are so gorgeous. i love all the vibrant colors.

Unknown said...

Hi Catherine. Now I see why you needed that hug. Sorry about Flicker, it's always a sad time when you lose a pet. He and his jagged ears lived a good long life from the sounds of it. Hope your week goes better.

P.S. The crochet is coming along awesomely!

Needled Mom said...

I am sorry to hear about Flicker. He did have a nice long life. You should enter the picture of him on the quilt in socalgal Pets on Quilts contest. It is so pretty.

I love the Hunky Dory fabrics. Gorgeous!!!

SheilaC said...

So sorry to hear about Flicker. It sounds like he had a long life with people who cared for him, grumpiness and all.

He was lucky.....

hugs
SheilaC

Karen said...

YUM-some Hunky Dory. Do you have any plans for them? Those crochet blocks are looking great. Do you an iidea about how many your want/need to make?

Pokey said...

Your crochet blocks are so yummy in those much coveted creamy bright colors, mm-mm! I'm sorry, too, about your cat Flicker, and how you found him. The picture on the quilt with him looking away would be a perfect memory in a frame! I agree, you should enter that into Sew Cal Gal's Pet show. It's a good photo!

wishes, true and kind said...

Your fabric and crochet are just beautiful. So sorry about your cat! I know he had a long and happy life, but I'm sure you will really miss him. One of our cats can be pretty grumpy, too. Aren't they funny?!?

Sally said...

So many things in your post to comment on...

I love the Hunky Dory fabric. I made myself an Amy Butler bag from several of the pieces. I have a couple more in my stash, but not sure what I'll make.

I love the colorful crochet squares, too! I need to get back to my knit and crochet.

Sorry about your kitty loss. He have a dog and three cats who are all relatively young, but I still worry about the time when we will lose them. He was lucky to be able to come to a good home when your FIL passed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...