Tuesday, March 30, 2010

All pinned and ready to quilt.

I'm so pleased with the way this little quilt has come together and it's been fun working with just stripes for a change. I've decided to make it into a largish throw cushion for our lounge, although I'll have to be careful to keep it out of the direct sun as I don't want its vibrant colours to fade. Unfortunately it's probably going to have to wait till friday to be quilted as I'm working tomorrow and going out of town on Thursday for some last minute shopping for Amelia who is going away for an Easter camp.

There were lots of little seams in putting together this quilt and it occured to me that I could share a little technique that I do to help keep the seams nice and flat which makes for easier quilting. Sometimes when locking seams together you end up with a seam twisting in different direction at each end as the lefthand seam is in the above photo. When this happens I clip the seam as I have done on the right of the photo which means I can press it nice and flat. I used to think this was a quilting no-no but really its just like clipping a curved seam.

6 comments:

Rafael's Mum said...

That looks like the makings of a wonderful floor cushion! I can just imagine it in your lounge.

Thanks for the tip. I often find this problem at the back but tend to just iron flat as well as I can... This is much better!

Susan said...

The stripes look wonderful together! I can't wait to see it once it's finished.

Needled Mom said...

Gorgeous colors too. Great idea to clip the seams.

Chavah Kinloch said...

I wish I knew how to quilt. It looks amazing so far!

Deborah said...

This looks great!

MEG BAIER said...

hi, i visited your flickr and landed here.
you make the most amazing things, and have a fine taste!!!i'm impressed! thank you for your visit, and have a nice easter with your family!! =))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...