Thursday, November 26, 2009

I love to handquilt!


After machine quilting around the 'frocks' twice I was going to machine quilt in the ditch between each block but in hindsight I should have done that first before going around each frock because I ended up with it puckering badly at the end of the seam. Not a great look! So I decided to hand quilt 1/8 in from the seam of each block and I'm really pleased with how it now looks. Hand quilting is so forgiving and it really isn't taking that long with just straight lines.
I can do 4-5 stitches at a time and it's something I can just pick up when I've got a little pocket of time. I love the look that hand quilting gives a quilt. I know machine quilting gives quicker results but it can be a real upper body workout sometimes.
These are the colours I'm working with. The thimbles are a must although I still get a sore thumb when I've done a lot. I have tried various thimbles but always go back to these original ones that I bought for my very first quilt. I have now accumulated quite a good selection of colours in the quilting cotton which is good when you don't live near a quilting shop.

6 comments:

Rafael's Mum said...

You have done so well! It looks fantastic with the handquilting as the different colours and the visible quilting really set off the frocks. A huge difference, the finishing touch!

I have discovered I also like handquilting. It is very soothing and as you say, you can pick it up for a short time and no need to sit at the machine. I loved doing the Sweet Mum Quilt. Totally unexpected!

Great fabrics for the quilt too, so nice and cheerful and a good coordination too. Brill!

Deb Robertson Writes said...

Lovely! I agree about the upper body work out! I am looking forward to camping after Christmas and sitting hand quilting.

wishes, true and kind said...

The handquilting definitely gives it a little something extra :). Even though I've done lots of cross stitch and needlepoint, I've never hand quilted! I really need to give that a try one of these days.

PaisleyJade said...

Beautiful - clever you!!!!

Deborah said...

This is so pretty! I love the frocks and the colors you used. I find hand stitching to be relaxing and sometimes even meditative.

Corrie said...

oh I love the colours up close! just lovely! I love the cotton reels too, such lovely bright colours. I do love hand quilting but this year I just haven't had the time!

Thanks for entering my giveaway!
Corrie:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...